Guilt and Peace

I'm still trying to figure this one out:

I know we're born sinful creatures. That every day we sin, whether we realize it or not. That without cleansing from that sin there's no forever-after with God (and that Jesus died to cleanse us, a free gift which we only have to reach out and take). I also know that we are to confess our sins and "clean our heavenly book", so to speak, every day.

But sometimes at the end of the day I can't pinpoint things that are "sin", I can't find definites to confess. I have to pray a blanket prayer of forgiveness for wrongs I can't recall doing.

And yet at the same time I'm all peaceful inside, knowing God is covering me and saving me daily.

But aren't I supposed to be feeling guilty from sin, weighed under by the sense of what I am? There are a lot of saints that seemed to feel this acutely! And if I'm not feeling guilty is that a good thing or a bad thing - does it mean that my sense of assurance of salvation is intact, or that I'm so far from God and don't even know it?

I'm really struggling with this one at the moment. Trying to balance peace (lukewarmness?) with guilt (conviction of sin?).

Why does it have to be so hard to find the right answer???

0 comments: