Stepping out...

Our staff members meet every morning for a short worship/devotional to start the working day. I'm on duty to take it Monday morning.

I'm thinking of taking my life in my hands and challenging them to "be church". All of them are conservative types, and think I'm weird and way-out for what I do and don't do when it comes to church and religion. I don't know what reaction I'm going to get, but I'm sure there will be some who will push me even further into the loony bin.

This weekend I'm going to think very carefully on how I can challenge them without pushing them too far - how I can speak without losing them - what I can say that they will be able to relate to, that's not outside of their understanding.

This morning one lady spoke on the huge difference between a family in the USA and Africa in terms of lifestyle, possessions, support system etc. Perhaps I'll use that as a jumping-off point to emphasize our need to be church in our community.

I so much want to share all the thoughts and journeys that are mulling around my head, but I know that would be pushing things a little too far. They're at a place far from where I am, and wouldn't understand - where I'm at has been a long journey with many stops on the way.

It's going to be hard to put into understandable language what I want to say, and I think I'll just make it a simple challenge to be church, to find out what that means to each individual, and to actually act on it.

Perhaps this is Step 3 of Being Church?

0 comments: