Jason's Colour-ology

My son Jason asked me recently, "What colour do you see when I say a number?" HUH? I'd never associated numbers and colours, but apparently he does!

Last night I called out random numbers and wrote down what colour he sees when he thinks of them. He says he doesn't see an object of that colour, but the number filled with the colour. Here were his responses:

1=black, 2=blue and white, 3=light green, 4=red, 5=yellow, 6=orange, 7=grey, 8=white, 9=purple, 10=blue, 11=orange, 12=blue with yellow spots, 13=another green, 14=brown, 15=yellowy, 16=violet, 17=very dark green, 18=white-greyish, 19=very dark purple, 20=blue.

Then it gets interesting... 21 onwards are all shades of blue, except 24 which is light brown. 30 onward is shades of green.

So of course me, the logical one, went looking for patterns. And found that the combination of 2 digits from 20 onward makes (nearly always) the colour he stated. Like 24, the only odd-one-out in the blues range is brown - which is red and light blue! Weird...

I have no idea how he got the colour/number image thing going, or what it's all about, but it's just plain fascinating!

(Yeah, you didn't need to know all this, but hey - it's my blog!)

0 comments: