We need to get out more...

My son and I spend WAY too much time alone at home. It's become very evident lately in the things we crack up laughing over. Like these Olympic moments:

* Women's race, introduction of the participants, including one Mexican lady who turned to the crowd and did.... a Mexican wave! (groan)

* Men's diving, 10m platform. Australian speedo's have "Australia" on the back, and a vertical "AUS" on the front. We wonder why "AUS" isn't on the back of the speedo. (if you don't get it, don't worry, you probably shouldn't anyway...)

We also haven't been "sociable" in a very long time. We haven't had visitors over (except the crowd of kids who turned up to toast/burn marshmallows yesterday) in months, we haven't gone out to movies or events, and no-one stops by unannounced anymore.

I'm starting to feel the isolation. It's probably my fault that we're not in the middle of a huge social circle. I tend to be a bit of a loner, and when you have to deal with people all day, every day, weekends are the only time to flee into solitude. It doesn't help our social matters that I'm not involved in a church at the moment - and haven't really been involved in anything non-church either. Nor does it help living on a church-owned campus, where being the odd one out leads to being left out.

I've forgotten how to make friends. I've forgotten how to be a friend. I've never been part of the cliques, always been one of the outsider weirdo's, the arty-fartys. I need to learn from scratch what it's like to be present in society, to be connected widely and happily with many, many people.

And we definitely need to get out more! :)

0 comments: