They're Here...!

My parents arrived late last night for their every-few-years visit. But it being late, and the road between here and the airport apparently prone to danger of attack/hijacking/whatever, we were advised not to meet them at the airport. We'll only see them on Saturday, when my dad officiates at baby Ethan's dedication, with the entire family in church for a change!

But they're here. It's going to be good to catch up with them, to have them around for a few weeks. And yet...

Us kids are a bit worried. It's weird, it's irrational, but we're worried. You see, they left South Africa in 1997, and we've all done a good deal of growing up since then. Both brothers are married, one has produced a child, and their other grandson is almost as tall as they are. In the past 8 years we've changed a lot, but the parents may not realize it - they may expect us to still be the same kids we were 8 years ago, ages 25, 23 and 21... We're not. They haven't been here to see the decisions we've made, the roads we've travelled, and how we've gotten to where we are now. And we're kinda worried they will still expect us to be the same kids they left here years ago.

If that isn't enough, I've got the additional worry of having to please-explain where I've ended up in relation to the church, the one I was brought up in, the one my dad pastors in, the one I work for and the one I no longer attend... I expect some folk will take this opportunity to tell my parents how bad I've been - that I've completely back-slidden and they'd better sort me out while they're here. And I may have to do some sit-down-and-talk with the parents to try explain this journey I'm on.

Oh, and did I mention that my mother has insisted on meeting up with my son's "other gran" for coffee? Who knows what they'll say about me, my son and the past...things I'd rather have left there, and not dragged out again. We don't have any real contact with her, and for now that's best. But I suspect that after The Meeting, my mother will insist I include her in our lives.

All of these worries may, of course, be totally ungrounded. Everything could be quite peachy and we may be anxious over nothing. My parents have been completely supportive of me so far (by email - may be different in person) while I travel this spiritual road. They could have realized how different we've all become. They may let me make my own decisions regarding the "other" relatives and not push me. You never know.

We've got a lot of plans for their time here. I'll be off the blog and on leave for a week and a half come Thursday 1pm. We're going to do all we can cram into that time, all that my parents have been longing to do in the area and with my son. (Consequently my car goes in today for a check on problems with brakes and starters) It's not going to be the most relaxing holiday.

We're going to do our darndest to enjoy it though, even if it kills us! :)

0 comments: