Seasons Turn

There are a mere 3 days of summer left, officially. Can it be over already? It seems it never really got off the ground. Winter was long and cold, and held on well past its expiry date. The expected heat lasted a few weeks, and the wind (oh the wind!) blew almost constantly. I haven't even been to the beach yet!

But I have to admit I like autumn, and spring. Those inbetweentimes, not freezing in winter, not boiling in summer.

The days are sometimes misty, there's a chill in the air - and green on the ground, whether from winter rain or the first showers of autumn. Flowers - either spring newness or the last of the summer - grace the landscape. Mornings are chilly, nights cool. There's fog, and awesome sunsets. It's a quiet time - the world is either waking up or settling in for hibernation.

It feels like I am too. It's harder to get up in the mornings as the days become shorter. I can no longer guage the time by the light outside the window. I want to snuggle up in bed more, make warm hearty foods.

I find myself noting the first red-tinged leaves, the increase in morning dew, the birds gathering in groups to move on to warmer climes. The garden is still producing tomatoes and other summer veggies, but it's time to plant winter crops and spring bulbs.

On my way home from work I've started taking a photo of my mountain from exactly the same place, at exactly the same time, every day. I'll compile them into a change-of-seasons "movie" soon, the light changing as the days shorten - sometimes covered in cloud, sometimes glowing in afternoon light.

Last night a cold front hovered over the sea. Half an hour later fog and rain took over, the campus lights sending shards of brilliance through the heart of the drifting mist. My son and I hung out on the verandah in the dripping silence, just watching the light and the rain.

It's called soul-bathing.

0 comments: