Sydney by day

Thursday was Sydney day! My brother Brian, my son Jason and I headed off early by train to explore the city and see all those famous sites.

We happened to hit the one day that the trains were delayed thanks to signal failure, and it took us nearly 2 hours to get to the city, but we did eventually make it. We started out at Town Hall, then wandered down to Darling Harbour and had a good look around. (Watch this space for a great shot of tower, monorail and city soon). J & I did the aquarium (it's good, but we prefer the one in Cape Town for layout and things to see/do), surrounded by 8 school groups and one very large, very loud group of Japanese tourists. Needless to say, it was impossible to linger anywhere... After that, we headed back into the city with Brian to catch a bus to Circular Quay - we'd bought $15 daytripper tickets that got us on to all sorts of things with that one piece of paper. Brian found a beautiful opal pendant for his wife, then it was time for a ferry to Manly. A bit chilly, but it wasn't too choppy and we really enjoyed the trip over. An excessive amount of photos was taken of everything in site, as usual (I took 150 yesterday alone!).

At Manly I went in search of lunch (J had downed hot chips earlier and B was working his way through the sushi take-away bars, bit by bit). I found a place called Ali Baba's, which makes something called a K'Bab - basically thin flat bread (almost like a tortilla), with fillings of your choice. Not having a clue as to what I wanted, I let the owner go wild, and he dished up the best thing I've tasted in ages! Falafel, lettuce, tahini, onions, sour cream, sweet chilli sauce, jalapenos, tomato, and a topping of melting cheese. All that, and a drink, for a mere $5.95! I was completely impressed and went back to tell him so. He also gave me a sample of shaved lamb, and although I generally hate red meat I have to admit it was DIVINE.

We wandered forth from there toward the beach, stopping in a "$10 or less" shop, and picking up some incredible bargains. Onward through surf shops and other things we went, marvelling in aisles full of magazines, clothing and stuff in every shape and colour. The beach was choppy and windy, and it was nearly time to head home so we caught the 4:30 ferry back. We had a wonderful sunset view of the city and arrived back at dock to the sound of The Web - two guys on digiridoos with a dance beat backing. They had CDs for sale and I snapped one up, being told I was on my way to heaven as a result. From there it was a long, crowded train trip in the dark back to our home station, where we persuaded dad by phone to pick us up, as our feet had had it.

You would think we'd try for an early night after that, wouldn't you? Well no - the first episode of a new Amazing Race series was on, so it was a late one... :) And talking TV, we've been lapping up all 3 varieties of CSI, a season of Survivor we have yet to see back home, and various other excellent stuff. There is ALWAYS time to be a TV addict while on holiday!

Today I have an appointment with the guy that may be able to give me a job, and a migration visa opportunity. We'll see what happens - it's not an interview, but rather just a "hi, I'm around". Later today we'll get the last big shop done (cash doesn't last forever...). To think that a mere week ago we were still in South Africa! It seems like we've been here for ages.

OH, and I DID meet an Aussie guy yesterday, but before you get your hopes up, he was doing the ask-for-donations-on-the-street thing for some cause. :) Had a nice chat with him though.

0 comments: