Oh Fudge It!

Every now and then I get a hankering for decent, homemade fudge, and haul out the Big Pot, copious amounts of sugar and butter (or margarine, actually) and a can of condensed milk.

The urge struck me this Saturday again. My son is never one to argue that we should rather use that condensed milk in a lemon non-meringue pie instead of fudge, so we set to.

Oh, if you want my recipe - you're gonna have to ask! :)

Somehow the process did not go off as planned this time. Instead of a half-hour of stirring, I had to put in nearly an hour! Mid-way through that I was testing the mix to see if crystals were forming, and managed to burn a finger. Sugar and butter in it's hot state is NOT good for the skin. Trying to lick it off only burns your tongue, and it doesn't help that the sink is across the room. Shortly thereafter, stirring enthusiastically, I splashed a small amount onto my palm - NOT good. And finally, just as I spooned out a bit to check those crystals again (which were perfect), I grabbed the pot handle - not noticing that a dollop had landed there, and consequently burning 3 more fingers, one so badly that I now sit with a good sized blister.

I managed to get it into the pan to set, and cut it a few mintues later - then burned some more fingers on the knife trying to get the crumbs off to munch on.

Geez....

But it was all worth it in the end. That fudge is simply awesome and I ate way too much of it this weekend. From today I'm going to have to limit myself to 3 pieces or less daily! :)

0 comments: