Of Babies and E-Pets

I drove through to Cape Town on Saturday afternoon to see my newest nephew. What a cutie! Well, as cute as babies can be at that age. Unlike many, I can see they're not THAT beautiful... :)

I even got to hold him briefly, and I can't believe my hulking big son was once that size. He lay on my (ample, therefore comfortable) chest, curled up like a little frog with his tiny bottom cradled in one of my hands. New life is always a wonder to behold.

Of course his parents are rightly proud and ecstatic over his arrival. They were due to check out of hospital and take him home shortly after I left. With her mom staying over, I presume there are more than enough hands to share in the care, to adjust to schedules and how to bath the baby, and all that.

Max's other aunt and uncle have indicated they will babysit - but they "don't do babies under 4 months". I, on the other hand, DO! :) I've been there, done that, and am good with little ones. I have this "magic trick" to get them sleeping fast, and am able to tune in quickly to what they're in need of.

Funny thing is, I think I've been doing something similar lately.

You see, the e-pet my son got a while back seems to have become my responsibility. I get to watch it during the day - and now also at night. We managed to kill off 2 e-pets in a row last week, thanks to my son not hearing them beep for food in the night, and their resulting starvation to death by morning. I sleep lightly, and DO hear the beeps, so the thing is deposited next to my bed each night.

Silly, I hear you say. Why not just take out the batteries and kill the thing off permanently?

I don't honestly know. I'm just weird that way. Or perhaps I want to see how long I can keep it alive, and what happens when it reaches a certian age. Curiosity keeps me at it.

Thankfully, I've managed to get it "asleep" by my bedtime most nights, so there's peace and quiet until morning comes. Other than the dogs wandering on and off the bed, and the neighbours getting up at all hours to bang around the flat upstairs, that is.

So, if my new little nephew DOES need babysitting, I've been practising. I'm ready. Got the e-pet, used to waking up and checking on things, the works.

Yea, I'm strange. So what. :)

0 comments: