Neighbourly Rivalry

I have new neighbours. They didn't start off on the right foot... They still have to learn they can't just move in, mess with my stuff and start cutting down trees. They've made an awful mess of one right outside my window, which they decided was overhanging too much their way, so stripped one side bare without care for how the poor plant looks in the aftermath.

The day that they moved in, I started clearing out the mess left by the Department of Destruction (Maintenance) after painting this small block of flats. In fact, I've been in the garden every day since, sorting out plants, dividing irises, planting a bit of "edible landscaping" (beans among the flowers, peas up the new fence, watermelon in the side garden among the roses, zucchini among the ferns) and watering my newly-cut lawn. I've artfully trimmed the mulberry tree in an ongoing effort to help it grow upright instead of drooping. The roses are blooming, the daisies are trimmed.

And guess what? As soon as the new neighbours saw me at it, they got at it too.

Pity they can't keep up - my garden still looks better than theirs! :)

It's an unofficial rivalry, and I'm determined to both get and keep the upper hand. Perhaps I'm subconciously trying to prove I'm better than them, or perhaps I just enjoy a nice garden and get most of my exercise working outdoors. As a now-burst large blister on one finger attests to.

Whatever the motives, the garden's looking good. Best of the three so far.

0 comments: