Boomerang Babies

Hot on the heels of my sudden realization that my fledgling could be leaving the nest within a few years, comes the new trend of "Boomerang Babies". icWales reports:
Homes are being turned into ant hills as cash-strapped people in their 30s move back in with their parents, according to research published today.
Granted it's nothing new...

My brother moved out of my parent's place when he got his first job. He lived with a couple of friends in a nearby apartment - but ended up eating every meal at the parent's place anyway, as they were non-cooks/ran out of food/didn't have money to buy any! Eventually he moved back home...

My parents joked after their emmigration to Australia that they'd had to go - it was the only way they could get us to leave home. And although we all laughed, in a way it had a grain of truth. It's mighty comfy living in your parent's house. Need a can opener? They've got one. Need a hammer? Got that too. Don't feel like cooking? Someone else will. Struggling with finances? Sponge off the parents for a month or two until you come right.

The extended-family home is no longer the norm in this day and age, but there are advantages to a large group of relatives under one roof. It makes certain aspects of life a whole lot easier. And others a whole lot more difficult.

I've told my son that once he's working and earning, he should be living on his own too. But perhaps it will make more economic and emotional sense if we were both still under the same roof. One never knows. I'd like for him to get a shot of independence, to find out what making one's own way is all about. Yet I'm still his mom, his family.

And he's always liked boomerangs.

0 comments: