Frozen

I think winter's done something to my head. I can't find a blessed thing to say these days. It's been icy-cold outside, with snow on the mountains near here and rain pouring down constantly. Fortunately, the promised blackouts have stayed away - and we've been able to employ our trusty heaters and microwaves to stay warm. Nope, no central heating here... And today, we see the sun at last.

At this time of year I always feel sorry for the homeless folk, and those in flimsy sheet-metal shacks. If the penetrating cold gets to me, who is well-fed and sheltered, I can only imagine how terrible it must be for them.

I often wish I had a big house, where I could offer winter accommodation to those who needed it - a few extra rooms built on, just for those who need shelter. I know it's probably not "safe" in this day and age to simply invite strangers to share your house, but I would like to be able to, nonetheless.

There's only so much a soup kitchen or blanket hand-out can do. I think in the back of my mind, I've had this idea that perhaps I can make more of a difference. A long time ago I mentioned that if I won the lotto I'd like to give just one person the means to change their life totally. But without winning the lotto, perhaps there's still much I can do in a tangible manner to help out those who don't have what I have.

So, as my toes slowly freeze today - that's where my thoughts are.

0 comments: