Foxmarks

I'm in the process of shifting computers - a new one at work means a transfer of data onto a clean system, while the old one comes home with me and the current one at home gets a transfer elsewhere. Confused? :-)

Yeah - so were my bookmarks. With all these machines, I had multiple instances of things I'd added as favourites (or Bookmarks as Firefox calls them), some repeated across sytems, others unique to the two different machines I currently use.

Until today! I decided to give Foxmarks a whirl, not quite knowing how it would work out. From the write-up it seemed all my bookmarks would be internet-accessible via an account I set up, but I wasn't sure if I'd have to go to their site to access them, while my on-screen ones faded away.

Well I was pleasantly suprised. I first set up an account from work and Foxmarked everything. Then when I got home I logged in after installing Foxmarks, and synchronised the bookmarks I have here. Voila! They're ALL on both machines! And whatever I change here will show up there. Whatever I add here, will be added there. If I edit there, it appears edited here. If I'm on neither machine but need to access a link, I simply log into my account at Foxmarks and a mirror of what I've stored is there too!

I LIKE!

When it comes to moving all these computers around, reinstalling things and restoring settings, Foxmarks is seriously going to make my life easier. No more rebuilding a database, or trying to find in which folder my links are stored so I can back them up. Nope, everything's right there, available for me the second I need it.

Now if only I had the same option for the rest of the hard-drive/s...

0 comments: