"Dumpster" Diving

I admit it - rubbish piles catch my eye, especially if there's something interesting being thrown out. A good deal of our furniture is "found objects", rescued from certain destruction (and the local landfill).

I like to think of it as large-scale recycling.

Today's trip to drop Mandy off at the bus led past a place being somewhat rennovated. And there, out on the pile of junk, was a perfectly-good solid wood bookcase! Well, we were in a rush to get to the bus, so I hoped no-one would get to it first. But it was still there when I drove back.

I think perhaps this is why I have a hatchback car...

I re-arranged the interior a bit, let down the back seats, and stuffed the entire bookcase in the boot. Of course it would be the one day I'm wearing beige and white, but some things are worth having to do an extra scrub on washday.

It's quite a big bookcase, about waist high, and boy do I have a use for it! If you've seen inside my place, you'll know I can never have too many bookshelves. Books are the main ingredient in most of the decor.

Over lunch (it being a sweltering day), I hosed it down a bit. Got the dust off, a few ancient spiderwebs, and gave one of the shelves a scrub. It seems it's spent its last days storing jars and cans of grease in a garage. But it will come right. Tonight it gets restored to its rightful use, and packed with books.

Yay for those who throw away useful things, especially if it's in my path! :-)

0 comments: