Feed your Face

I've found myself noticing some interesting things lately...

My American friend (who was here over the holidays) complained that he can't find healthy food back home. My Australian friend confirmed it (having spent some time in the USA studying) - and I remember how long I searched to find non-instant oats to make my own granola (unsuccessfully). American friend is having to go on a very strict healthy-eating plan to aid in some serious medical treatments he needs. He was worried he wouldn't find what was required easily.

That got me eying some of my USA magazines I have lying around - like Better Homes & Gardens. And I've noticed how much of the food is completely pre-processed. "Making something from scratch" doesn't involve individual ingredients, rather pre-made this and pre-made that, mixed together in a combination other than the one recommended on the box. (Before my American readers crucify me, remember this is my view - from far away. Your reality may be different!)

I've also noticed a number of articles online recently about the serious health issues many Americans are facing - and how these are taking over countries that usually have pretty healthy lifestyles as American influence spreads. France is fattening on McDonalds - Coke is the "drink of choice" from affluent neighbourhoods to the poorest slums across the planet.

Farming has taken on a different hue too - monoculture leeches from the environment, requiring crops to be fertilized and sprayed and modified until there's very little of the original left in it. Then it's transported so far across the globe that by the time it gets to your table there's hardly any taste or nutrition left. Many farms are devoted to providing animal feed - lower quality foods that end up in the meat that is eaten, along with whatever's been pumped into the animal to produce more muscle and less of everything else.

To tell the truth, it concerns me. I don't want to plug my body full of things that will do more harm than good (I refuse to eat meat, but I'm not compromising on veggies either!). I don't want to support practices that are only helping destroy the planet. And I worry for the human race, plagued with disease, pollution, and all manner of ills (which are really all our fault!).

This year on my to-do list is a seriously hard look at what goes into our bodies. My veggie garden is already doing well, and we'll be eating close to the earth for quite a few things. I've started noticing packaging and labels on what I buy. I've avoided fresh things out of season and steered toward organic locally-grown. There's more that must be done, and a lot still to learn.

I can't cure the world's ills, but I am going to make sure I care for my son and myself in the best way possible. We're cutting out the processed stuff, learning about where our food comes from and keeping it real. We've never been a fast-food family, but everything we do is getting a good hard look-at. We're taking responsibility this year for what fuels our bodies, and not simply absorbing whatever comes along.

Now go check this out.

0 comments: