Change

It's a good thing I'm not in government.

Watching the news this evening, I was pretty much gobsmacked by a group demanding the government give them "clean streets". The rest of their pleas I can understand - education, jobs, clean water, the things a government should be looking out for (generally speaking). But clean streets?!?

You see, if I were in government and I encountered this lot, I'd ask "who made a mess of the streets in the first place - wasn't it YOU? and shouldn't YOU then be keeping them clean?". Which would probably be considered rude and lead to much toyi-toying and tyre burning. The truth hurts.

Then there's things like my last post - the apathy at Home Affairs. I'd send in a "mystery customer", heads would roll and an altogether more jacked-up staff would soon be in place. Oh, and the floors my son wanted to clean while waiting would be sorted too. Dunno when last they saw a broom.

The mismanagement of resources financial and natural? Watch me come down on those responsible top to bottom. Pollution? Easy - I hear there are places that simply impose serious consequences, and that could be done here too. Which would mean policing - and talking of that crowd, would shake them up a goodly bit. No more laying about - fit, trained, sharp and corruption free they'd be. Back to doing what police are supposed to do.

Road works, building management and other public spaces? Well my local Home Affairs office could do with a pressure spray, a coat of paint and the gutters fixed - as could many other places (perhaps I should call in Scott?). Australia employs 24-hour road crews and things get done - no laying about on the grass when the boss isn't looking anymore. Nor taking a year to upgrade a 2km section of the busiest road around.

Yup, it's a good thing I'm not in government. I think too logically about cause and effect. I'd probably play so UN-nicely that I wouldn't be there for long!

Traffic Fines Toolkit

0 comments: