The Parable of the Chili Plant

I have a chili plant in my office. It just recently moved in.

For 7 years it sat on my porch, just behind 2 love palms, and produced a few chilies, a couple of dark green leaves, and not much else. It got water, it got a bit of indirect sunlight, and was happy enough. It collected stray doghair and spiders, a couple of ants and not much attention.

A month ago I decided my office needed a bit of greenery and brought it from home to put in my office windowsill. After an initial peeping out of delicate green leaves, I was surprised one Monday to find it had sprouted new branches 15cm long, with flowers! Since then it has taken over completely. Now there are a number of lovely large chilies adorning it's branches, blushing delicately into robust red.

I added another chili plant recently - not only is it going mad and producing flowers, chilies and leaves, but the entire surface of the soil is now covered in newly-sprouted chili plants, heading upwards. This could be something from the Little Shop of Horrors soon...

My chili plant has clearly found the place it was meant to be. It's thriving, it's producing fruit, it grows more every day.

And I've found mine too.

0 comments: