"God's too busy for you"

I just received one of those "pass this on or else" emails, which started like so:

"If you are not interested, and do not have the 4 minutes it will take to
do this, please don't complain when God does not have time for you,
because He is far busier than we are."


Phuuuleeezze! There is just so much wrong with that, that I don't even know where to start! This strong-arming by email really grates on me. It workes on insecurities and fears, supersitions and suspicions - all with the aim of creating spam.

I don't believe God will never have time for me. Or that He gets too busy to listen if I talk, or even if I think. Heck, He's not like us! He's everywhere at once, all powerful, all knowing. So why would we think He'd act like us petty and petulant humans if we don't pass on an email?

And yet there are many that are so scared that God IS like this that they'll quickly forward it to everyone on their email list for fear of being struck by lighting (or ignored) from above. Shame, poor folk. Don't they know what God's like? Don't they even suspect that He's not into an eye for an eye? Don't they understand that He's bending near, just waiting to hear the breath of a prayer or a thank-you for blessings big and small? That He'll never say "try later, I'm busy"?

Sometimes I want to grab the folk who initiate this rot and shake them until their eyeballs rattle....

0 comments: