Learning Curve

Yesterday the boss dropped by with that "begging" look on his face that dogs get when you're holding something they want.

You see, he wants me to teach a class this semester! He's short on lecturers, especially ones that know what they're teaching, and this is a web design module of a larger "Computer Applications for Communication" course.

I haven't said yes yet. I want a lot more info on what is required, and what I'll be paid, before I committ myself.

I've never really taught before. I did do an hour-long "lecture" three years running on music and spirituality for the class the pastor was teaching, but that's about it. I'm not trained to teach, and I tend to have a very low tolerance for people who don't "get it" fast enough...! :)

But I think I could do this - it's only 18 hours over 6 weeks, after all. If I do, I'm going to make it very hands-on and practical. Just waiting for the computer guy to tell me what programmes / acces is available on the teaching lab computers, and for the former lecturer to get back to me from the USA on how in-depth he went into the required areas, and then I'll know whether it's a go or not.

0 comments: