Valentine's Day

So, if you've been hanging around this blog for any amount of time, you'll know all about the fact that I haven't had a date in 8 years - and that I'm actually OK with that! Happily single, don't get lonely, and all that stuff, you know.

Valentine's Day used to be a big thing for me. I'd sit and wonder if I'd get anything from a "secret" admirer, something that might make me feel loved, or admired, or appreciated. My former boss used to bring me flowers or dark chocolate (he's also my god-father), but that stopped years ago when bosses changed. And now Valentine's Day doesn't bother me at all. I don't send stuff, I don't get stuff. It's just another day and I get my fun watching others blush when they receive a card or a bunch of roses.

(However, having recently learnt that a few of our new students are "on the hunt" for wives, I aim to wear my ex-engagement/wedding ring on Monday to ward off advances!!! :) )

But this year I want to do something different. You see, I have a bunch of heart-shaped cookie cutters in my kitchen drawer, and a good few cookie recipes and decoration inspiration. This weekend I'll be roping in my son to do some serious baking, will package up small towers of edible hearts, and go distribute them - preferably anon. I may drop some off at neighbours, or friends, or hand them out to strangers. We'll see.

All I know is that not everyone feels the same way about V-day that I do - that some folk get really lonely when all around them love is spread, yet never touches them. Perhaps I can make their day just a tiny bit better.

0 comments: