Silence, Solitude

I'm very much looking foward to a bit of peace and quiet this weekend. It seems as if noise, rush and pressure has completely filled the hours lately. I know that unless I take some serious time-out to simply be still and quiet, I will not cope with the week to come.

This is why I cherish and protect the 24 hours I take as Sabbath each week. I quite honestly don't know how people cope when they DON'T take a complete break every 7 days. How can one simply rush on and on through life, without a full-stop in their living? And even if you're "doing good" during that time, how can you find inner rest if your body and mind are still on the go?

I simply cannot survive life without halting the motion, stopping completely to absorb and feel and breathe. On the weekends where I entertain over lunch, or have to be here and there, or have some other busynes intrude, I can feel the difference as I start the new working week. I'm unsettled, panicky, tense, tired - ready to snap before the first hour is gone.

These days I clear my schedule as much as possible for those 24 hours. Make no plans, leave off thinking what needs to be done tomorrow, and simply live in the moments as they arrive. I try to spend at least an hour alone (while my son's in the bath, or digging in his box of Bionicle pieces to creat some new marvel) - preferably outside where I can see sunbirds and mice stop by. I try to empty my head of to-do lists and plans for the next 24 hours, and leave off the worrying about whatever the latest issue is in my life. It will still be there when the sun goes down, and when it comes up tomorrow. Let tomorrow take care of itself. And perhaps a day without that particular issue will give a new perspective on it, an ability to deal differently and solve it creatively.

So this weekend it's solitude and silence, peace and quiet, fresh air, sunshine and a throwing off of burdens. If only for 24 hours, once a week.

0 comments: