Church Thoughts 1: Closing Down

“PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND STEP AWAY FROM THE DENOMINATION!”

Extreme version:
I wish I could close down all denominations, church groups, religious organizations, church buildings, mosques, synagogues and temples for 3 months.  Or a year perhaps.

Just to see what everyone would do without that safety net of identification with a particular group, a crowd to get lost in or a mass-mentality to support.

I wish I could dress everyone in jeans, a white t-shirt, and a head-scarf for the ladies – so that no-one could distinguish by appearance who they should hate / disagree with / avoid.

I want to know whether the faith they hold to – across the huge variety of beliefs – will sustain them if they don’t have a place or group to retreat to, a routine to support.  I want to see connections made with those who live around them, irrespective of belief system.  I want to see what they will do when church doors don’t open once a week or every day – where they will go, what they will talk about and with who.  

I want to see what will happen when those denominations, church groups, religious organizations, church buildings, mosques, synagogues and temples re-open.  Will things have changed?  Will perceptions be altered?  Will we know more about our neighbours than we would have otherwise?  Will more people be present – or will most have “gotten a life” elsewhere, and be living out their faith instead of butt-warming a pew?

“Lite” Version:
I wish I could get everyone to step outside their belief group for 3 months.  Or a year perhaps.

To go to places where they may not fit in, or feel comfortable, or know what’s going on, or know a single person.  To keep going, regardless.  To experience what others are up to in their places of worship – whether it be saffron-robed monks, orthodox Jews or just the Catholic church up the road that they pass every day.

I want them to experience the God-print in others they may have previously shunned, and find those things they hold in common – bridges between each other.

I want them to open their minds, ears and eyes to how others think and act, their frame of reference and their needs.  I want them to find something new to celebrate or a spiritual discipline they might never have tried.  I want them to try talk their church-talk in those groups – and see if anyone understands a word they’re saying.  I want them to find a common language, once they’ve left off their clichés.  I don’t want them to try “convert” a single person, but just sit and talk and get to know them.

And after 3 months (or a year) I want them to go back to where they came from and see what happens. Will things have changed?  Will perceptions be altered?  Will we know more about our neighbours than we would have otherwise?  Will we want to go back, or will we find another way of doing things, being real, staying where we’re planted?

0 comments: