Runaway Fire

As I type this, there's a runaway fire threatening many lives in Cape Town. The fire started around 4 this afternoon. By the time I left at 5 to collect my son from art, a huge smoke cloud was making its way up the sky. I stopped to snap a shot - never realizing just how bad it was. (Pics tomorrow when I have access to my camera cable to download)

The news reavealed that. One person has died already, many are having to evacuate the city bowl under Table Mountain. The fire has jumped a road and is tearing down Signal Hill. People have given up trying to save possessions - they are throwing their kids and their pets into the car and getting out while they still can. A gale-force wind is making the fire unfightable, unquencheable. A few houses are already gone.

My family is still safe. They're a few blocks from the hill, but the sky is black. You can't see your hand in front of your face, and they've got ears glued to the radio for the latest info.

Your prayers for the Cape Town dwellers are appreciated. If I hear any updates, I'll post them.


images from IOL

::update::
Photo gallery from News24

Foreigner arrested for setting fire.

::update2::
Photos on Mandy Watson's blog - from Cape Town city.

DazLife checks in with more.

So does QuarterSpeed.

::update 3::
This image was taken from where I live, an hour after the fire started.



This morning's news says the fire is sorta under control, and there was no further loss of life or serious property damage - though it came very close.

I'm still amazed at how we sometimes think we rule the world. It takes just one act of nature to send us all scurrying for safety.

0 comments: