Leap of Faith... ?

I had a flash of inspiration yesterday while getting dressed (and no, it wasn't the need for a gym contract thanks to catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror).

I've been thinking hard for a while now about how we're going to make it financially next year, with my son going to high school and his fees taking a huge jump (and a huge chunk out of current earnings). Ideally, I want my own business - but it has to be profitable enough to support a much bigger rent, school fee increase, and perhaps a turn-around in our finances so that we can stop living on the edge of debt (and many times in it). That's something almost impossible to achieve in the few months I have left of the year. Granted, one month off work will give me time to get a few things going, to make a bit of cash and organize my life. But not to build up business to that level.

I don't want to be an employee (a bottom-feeder or minion). I would love to work from home (I know I have what it takes). I want to make a difference to others, but also to me.

So I've been thinking about passions, and things I enjoy, and what I'm good at in an attempt to find direction. And the flash of inspiration might have been exactly what I needed!

Yes, I still dream of travel (through Africa and beyond). Yes, I still want my own sustainable business. Yes, there are goals and ambitions that are always in the back of my head.

But...

Here's something that could just work! That will be a step in the right direction and fulfil many (or most) of my requirments (self-employed, work from home, make a difference...).

You see, I realized that there is a dire shortage of newborn-baby daycare. And I'm very, very good with babies. With older kids too - which is really weird as I'd never held a baby until my son arrived, nor did I think I liked kids. I get handed the nephews on arrival, I have kids like me with no apparent effort, and I have a "magic touch" that both calms babies and puts them off into dreamland in no time at all. I'm a mom - I've been through the ages and stages up to 13. I've been through them with a whole lot of others too by proxy. And although I'm none too good with throw-up, I don't mind changing nappies.

So why not use all that and actually offer a service, in my home, to fill the birth-to-two-years (gigantic) gap in the childcare market?

I've spoken to a few folk about rules and regulations. If you have 6 kids or more, you're required to register with the government. Less, and you're not. I've gotten the range of costs for care out there - from full-day, all-meal ones to half-day (and you provide the meals) ones. I've spoken to a friend who ran a creche next door to me, and to my sis-in-law who has a 2-year old (and who is all excited now about the idea! :) ). And I've done some pretty hard thinking too.

This. Could. Actually. WORK.

Even though it will require a large leap of faith to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

0 comments: