Still alive!!

Yes, I know it's been a while... and by now all that's going to show up on this page could be archives! :-) But that's what happens when offline life takes over.

It's been quite a busy week - I've spent most of it not knowing what day of the week it is, but just going through the hours as they come.

Both our guests arrived safe and sound. I picked up Mandy in Cape Town on Wednesday, and immediately went on a mini-road-trip to pick up a free hi-fi across the mountain range. On the way, an idiot pigeon flew straight at the car, and with combined forces of car and bird in opposite directions, it shattered one of the headlights completely - and stuck there (as we discovered later). I had the non-joyous task of picking bits of bird out of the front of the car back home, not lekker at all. Being the week between Xmas and New Year, of course no-one had any spare headlights in stock, so we're looking very strange with a bare bulb and a taped-up light (clear packing tape to provide some protection from whatever we may run into, literally). The new year will see a few extra hundred bucks found somewhere and a light installed.

Greg arrived later that evening, and the house filled up! The dogs are used to it now, and we've all settled into an easygoing routine, picking up where we last saw each other (in Mandy's case about 20 years back..). She and my son are getting along famously, simply because she's not taking crap from him and seems to inspire him to actually do stuff. :-) Last night she taught him how Soduko works - and they made a pretty good team.

So we've done some tourist things - a trip to Franschhoek, some wine-tasting at Boschendal (but not for me, I'm really not into wine) and lunch at Spier. We had hoped to get to Chapman's Peak / Hout Bay or the opposite direction to go duning in Betty's Bay - but guess what, it's cold and raining. Again. Yesterday wasn't too great a day for touring around either. Instead we relaxed, read, did the grocery shop and chatted all day.

And now the year's nearly over. Second-last day of 2006.

I've found myself somewhat pensive, doing some thinking behind the scenes as to what I want from 2007. I've blogged my plans and hopes before, but they've become cemented into definites in the last few days. Mandy's inspired me with a life lived extraordinary - along with her year off to travel at the moment. Greg's given me pause for thought as to living while time allows - he has some serious health issues to face in the new year.

I've realized I've somehow acquired a peaceful and settled soul, one that no longer dashes around in confusion, one that is still amid the chatter around me. I'm building on that, and seeking more - perhaps I'll write all about that soon. There's much to say... and I'm still collecting my thoughts.

Today though it's another indoor day. The others are into a game of Uno, and I think I'll go beat the stuffing out of them! :-)

0 comments: