Touristy Things

I'm quite enjoying having a tourist staying over - it makes you look at where you live with new eyes! I've remembered a whole pile of places to see and things to do since Mandy arrived, and also simply let her at it to discover things herself (being the lazy host). I've learnt a bit too - I had no idea we had a backpackers bus service in SA.

Yesterday we headed out to Hermanus, hoping to spot some whales. Unfortunately they've moved on, but we did get to wander a bit, eat a divine lunch of tramazzini (mine was fungi, hers had sundried tomatoes) - drizzled with either jalapeno or habanero sauce. The latter kinda burnt my lips off, even though I added a mere speck.. :-)

Oh, but we DID see one whale. A plastic one.... (and meet Mandy, by the way)


Also found a cool place selling rocks and gemstones, and a few African things. Of course I'm a crystal addict (no, not crystal meth!!! geez... ), so my eye was caught by the raw amethyst and quarz pendants at the African stall, and by small crystally bits at the rock/gemstone place. Including moonstones! My absolute fave, and at R2 a small crystal who could resist. I came home with 5 of them. OK, they're not brilliantly coloured, but they're still gorgeous.

There's one thing I love doing - coming over Sir Lowry's Pass toward the Cape Peninsula. What a view! What a place to call home! Yesterday it was stunning. The lighting was perfect, recent rains have given the mountains a green tinge, and the sea reflected the sparkle of sunshine.

Other touristy things we've done? Well, Cape Point:


First time the kid's been there, and I haven't for years! We've done Vergelegen:


And Spier (meet Greg):


Franschhoek (old graveyards make cool photos):


..and Boschendal:


..even the local nature reserve:


Mandy's explored Stellenbosch, the road out to Betty's Bay and a few local places on her own too (check out her blog for a REAL tourist's perspective).

Verdict? There's a lot to see around here - gotta get out more.. :-)

0 comments: