Did it move for you?

I have a bit of a fear of heights. Let me clarify that - I don't like being in high buildings. Mountains and tall trees and planes I can handle.

It has nothing to do with 9-11, but I don't like working, living or merely visiting in buildings more than a few storeys high. I just have this horrible feeling that they'll collapse under me, or fall over, be shaken to bits by a random earthquake - or I'll fall out a window. I have no idea when the fear started, but it's just there.

At the moment I work in a two-storey building with a basement parking garage - so I'm on the third floor above solid ground level. Fantastic view over the mountains etc, but still. Lots of blank space below me with big slabs of concrete around me.

And this morning the building moved. I don't know what caused it. I suspect there's some earthworks or big truck stuff going on nearby that simply made it vibrate at molecular level through sound-waves, but I did feel it move ever so slightly - a deep shuddering rumble felt through floor and desk. Immediate vertigo, checking the cracks in the walls to see if they're expanding - and thoughts of "what will happen if it collapses?"

I'm weird like that. Dunno if anyone else felt it or even noticed the vibration.

I guess I'm just a chick who likes both feet on the ground as much as possible.


USAGC

0 comments: