Earth Day

With us SAfricans zoned in on the vote today, it's probably slipped many of our minds that today is also Earth Day. I guess you could say we're focussed on the small picture instead of the big one?

I like what Grist have to say about it: “It’s not about a single day, dude, it’s about living green every day.”

And therein lies the big thing. It's Earth Day yes - and a good day to get a wake-up call with things like this. But just like that night where we switched off the lights for an hour, it's not going to make a permanent difference unless you permanently change. Unless you not only absorb info but put it into practice too - long-term.

It's something I've been thinking about a lot lately, as I go about recycling stuff and feeding my family and staring at a computer screen and spending hours on the road. Just how green am I?

Happy Earth Day. Now what are you going to do about it?


0 comments: