Light Worship

While browsing my fave blogs (a morning 1 1/2 hour ritual before the day starts at work), I found Rich had commented on Friday on alt worship ideas (link given via his site).

Over the past week or so I've been putting down on paper a different kind of worship for my church based on the word "light" - just mulling over what elements I'd like to include, how to make it interactive...and if it's going to fly with the worshippers! They generally stick to the contemporary model of opening praise song, prayer and welcome, more songs, offering, leading "down" to softer worship and the sermon, ending with a lively song. Time to try something new! I have yet to get up the courage to ask to lead, but the link above has given me some added inspiration.

So far I have listed some of the following, with more coming - to be used at an evening service:

People ushered in to a dark hall by torchlight. Black plastic ribbons over door to shut off any outside light and give an "entry point" to worship.

Only one elevated candle on stage, as meditation points roll across the screen. (What does light mean to you, were you scared of the dark as a kid, has God given any specific light recently, do you need to ask for light etc). Verses about light included during various parts of the worship. Some great graphics available, to be slotted in here and there.

The worship team (can't leave them out completely at this stage) positioned within the congregation, forming a part of the worship instead of leading it. More guidance than leading, instruments and such off-stage and in with the people. Very little instrumentation - simple stuff, lots of sustained chords.

As different aspects of light are presented, switch on or light a different light - bedside lamps, Christmas lights in the form of a cross or strung across the stage, candles, battery-operated torches, sparklers etc. until the entire hall glows at the end. Backlight objects and project lights onto different surfaces.

Give people a chance to light a candle and ask for God's light at different stations. Take one unlighted candle away to give to someone who needs a ray of light.

Give out glow-in-the-dark lightsticks for people to write prayers in the air or pray using movement. ("watch out for the guy next to you - don't poke anyone's eyes out")

Have found a number of songs that include "light" to either sing collectively or play as a backing. I hope to get my friend's little daughter to sing "this little light of mine", tape it and play it over part of the meditation.

The ideas are coming together, slowly but surely. I'm new to the alt worship idea scene, have yet to try it in practice, but have a vision of what can be. Perhaps I'll get up the courage soon to talk to our worship leader about implementing some of it. Just having fun thinking out possibilities in the meantime.

Would love to hear any other ideas floating around cyberspace!

update::::
Just been looking at some alt worship stuff on the net - and boy do I want to go delete this post, it sounds so simple and basic, nothing outstanding compared to what's going on out there! But have decided never to delete a post once published. Will just resist the urge to tear up my notes. Hey, I'm on a learning curve and I guess I have to start somewhere!:) And I think most of what's being done in alt worship would never work in my church - they'd chuck me out!:) It's just not a thought-option for them, it would blow them out of the water. So perhaps my simple, calm stuff might work...never know...

0 comments: