YES!!!!

I just received permission from the farm manager on campus to use up some fallow land just above where I live. It's a field that's been empty for years, just sitting there with nothing going on. I'll be planting winter crops shortly!

This not only gives me a load more room to play with, plant with and grow with, but also pretty good drainage space, sheltered from the wind, a taste of "real farming conditions" without a constant eye being on the stuff right outside the window, and a chance to Make A Big Profit on my newly-branded organic goods. I get to experiment with companion planting and perhaps prove that this place can grow a remarkable amount of food in a little area.

This weekend it's to work I go, hauling the KraalMis (cattle manure, for the uneducated among us...:) ), de-weeding and planning some sort of protection from the many creatures inhabiting the field. I'll also need to carefully think about what to plant so that my crop is not too attractive to the local beast population. Oh, and I have another local population to consider - those people that wander in from neighbouring properties, on the lookout for things to "lift"....

Now I can let the zucchini's roam, the carrots spread themselves deep, and see what else takes hold in the mixed soil up there.

Gonna be fun!

0 comments: