A good life

Read this quote last night:

"No-one deserves a good life: it has to be earned."

Spot-on. Too many of us expect life to come gently at us, giving us the good things, the easy things - the lotto winnings on the first try, and a life of endless leisure.

But we know from experience that the things we struggle for, the things we fight for - those are the things we appreciate the most. The things that just come to us without effort are soon discarded or unappreciated.

It's something I want my son to learn. That the good things in life are worth the effort, worth the fight, worth the sweat and stiff muscles it takes to get them. That a good, hard struggle brings a sense of satisfaction and more happiness than one can imagine. That sitting down after a hard day's work with a smile on your face, knowing you've put in your best, is the ultimate reward.

Random thoughts. Pondering what in my life I'm willing to fight for and what I need to just let go of.

0 comments: