Noise-intolerance

I'm coming down with a bad case of noise-intolerance, and at the worst possible time. All our students return today to re-register for the next semester, and that means an increase in noise level - a BIG increase. They all hang around outside my office, talking (shouting? some cultures consider shouting to be talking...) and filling in forms and waiting in queus for various folk to sign their forms.

It literally drives me nuts!

Even the ongoing murmer of voices with yesterday's meetings next door left me on edge and headache-y, and today I've started off with a pounding brain. Having the neighbours get up at an unearthly hour to bang their cupboard doors, meet up with someone who hoots to let them know they're there to pick them up, and then greets them noisily has not at all helped. Nor the fact that for the past 2 weeks this has happened each and every morning!

More and more I'm seeking that elusive serenity - and silence. Peace & quiet. Calm, not chaos. Each day when I get home all I want to do is sit outside in the silence and absorb it.

Am I getting old and nasty? Should I buy earplugs? Dunno. I find myself dreading people-noise. All the music in the world doesn't drown it out.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello : I thought I was the only one to have this condition. I was living in a beautiful house near Mexico City, surrounded by plants and flowers...everything seemed perfect except for the neighbors DOGS BARKING. The ones to the left had 3 Basset HOunds, the ones on the right had a Poodle, and a Labrador and the house in front had 6 more dogs. I had to put up with this terrible noise most of the day and part of the night...having to wake up to the barking instead of the beautiful singing of the birds in my garden. Several attempts were made to tell the owners..but it was in vain...I was in the dillema about selling the house or changin all my large window for double glass..I finally was lucky to sell the house...It was really very sad, but my health is first. I moved last December to Cancun...to an apartment in which I used to live before...where there were no noises...and guess what ! There´s new neighbors in the street with 3 dachshunds barking mainly in the afternoons and all day Sundays.. :( I really want to cry. Not enough ...my neighbor downstairs slams his doors every time he goes out and stars his volkswagen engine for more that 15 minutes before leaving .There is a building on the right is very near my bedroom and I can also hear them slam the cup boards doors and cough at 7 AM.
Do you think I am crazy? Everybody tells me I am exagerating..,but I do not think so. I believe I deserve to live a quiet life. I am planning to move one again...sadly but looking for the silence I need.
Karen