Return to Innocence

Have you ever wished you could become the kid you were pre-school-age again? I get that now and then - which is why my profile photo has reverted back to the child-like innocence look I had, and not the wrinkly, saggy, seen-too-much-of-the-world look I have now. :)

I think I must have been about 4 in that photo. Little, blonde thing running barefoot through a war-torn Rhodesia, exploring the great outdoors (remember the days before TV?) and making mud-pies, dressing up as a bride (I wanted to be one then - now I never want to be one) and just starting to learn how to read (yes, at age 4!).

I had not a care in the world. The parents took care of food, safety, warmth, love, clothing, and all the other things one starts to worry about when you grow up. I could spend my days hanging out with the dog, the gardener (we all had one, who doubled as house-help and cook usually), my Sindy doll (why did the inferior-quality Barbie ever take over the world?), and my little brothers.

We lived in a semi-rural area. The town was small enough to walk through in a few minutes. Everyone knew everyone. The war raging across the country hardly touched us kids - until primary school when the parents of friends were brutally massacred.

I know many adults choose to explore their child-like side in order to find out more about themselves. Good idea perhaps, but some days I just want to BE that child again. Just for a day.

0 comments: